Powered by Blogger.

Homemade Fresh Ricotta

Hello!
I must say this summer certainly has been the best summer {with children} to date.  Mostly because the weather is cooperating.  Truth be told my mother invited the girls to go stay with her and she kept them for 2 whole weeks.  That was my secret to staying sane so far!  My husband and I were in total relaxo mode and just had a really nice break overall.  We did a lot of painting and hung out in the kitchen a little bit making some things just for fun. 

I have a bucket list of things I like to make whenever I get a peaceful moment and one thing on the list is homemade cheese.  I'm sure I am not the only person on this planet who has a bucket list of things to cook & bake.  Bread is one on the list but to date just to darn chicken to get mixed up in a hot mess of huge disappointment.
I found a recipe for homemade fresh ricotta cheese and gave it a try.  I followed the recipe and turned out exactly as the recipe instructed.  I was able to find one last jug of Northumberland Organic Milk that had 3.8% milk fats.  Have a look at the ingredient list and see just how simple it is to make.
 



Homemade Ricotta
  • 8 cups (2 L) organic whole milk (3.8% MF)
  • 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
  • 5 tbsp (75 mL) vinegar
  In large heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat milk with salt over low heat, stirring often, until temperature on digital rapid-read thermometer registers 203°F (95°C), about 40 minutes.

Add vinegar; stir slowly 3 times. Remove from heat and let stand for 20 minutes.


With slotted spoon, gently skim off curds and place in sieve lined with damp double-thickness cheesecloth. Let drain for 30 minutes. Transfer to serving bowl.  Recipe Source:  Canadain Living Magazine March 2012.

 
My husband made homemade bread for the first time.  I couldn't believe how he just waltzed into the kitchen and just cranked out bread.  We were in the middle of a heat wave and I was surprised to find he had the oven on.  The smell of the bread baking was worth every drop of perspiration!  Mouthwatering to be exact.

I have this small obsession with Kings Landing and if I was ever offered the opportunity to live there year round I would not hesitate.  They make there own brown bread and serve it in their restaurant.  Long story short my husband made the same kind of bread they serve!  
I am kind of lacking in the photo props here but when you have a 2.5 year old monkey running lose from her cage you have limited time to get the kind of shots you really want.  The point of it all is not the photo props but to give a shout out to hubby for making beautiful homemade bread.   

Whenever I get the chance to have a recipe from one of the old cookbooks at Kings Landing I jump on it!  The recipes are fun to look at and they are super old and written in pencil.  Whoa! Better slow down my heart is starting to race a little...  If you want the recipe let me know.  I also have a recipe for squash pie which is totally acceptable for breakfast.
Have a wonderful week!
Happy Days!
~Becki

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP