Powered by Blogger.

Paleo Diet

Good Afternoon!
 
Sad news...no more beautiful, baked, bread.  At least not for my hubby.  The carbs were just messing with his diabetes and in turn, he would find himself in a mess and requiring high dosages of insulin.  A no win situation really.  So back to basics.  In the past we would call this the Dr. Forgi diet and without going into a long drawn out explanation it is best to simply call it the Paleo Diet.  Dr. Forgi is a natropath and my mother had to go see Dr. Forgi at one point in her life when she chose to fight cancer with healthy food.

Dr. Forgi explained food to us in a whole new light.  We talked about cells, acidity and all around nutrition for surviving.  I did not need energy robbers like caffeine.  

My husband made a decision about two weeks ago to go Paleo.  We have been having lots of dark, leafy greens, grass fed beef and animal fat.  I have no problems eating au natural and the kids are doing surprisingly well also.  I fed them ground beef for breakfast sauteed with onions and garlic.  They asked for seconds.  We are enjoying lots of kale, spinach and swiss chard.  

I do have one cookbook from Dr. Forgi's office but for whatever reason it does not satisfy my palette at the moment.  I suspect it has something to do with the lack of visual aids.  No pictures kind of bores me to tears and not only that I don't have anything to go by to know if I am making or baking the recipe correctly.    I found a lifestyle blog by Gwyneth Paltrow and instantly liked all of her recipes.  Not necessarily all her own creations but she posts links to the appropriate owner(s).   

I found this and instantly smitten.

Paleo Bread
elana's pantry is my new all time hangout.  Her blog is fabulous!  I just love happy accidents!  She even has a custom menu plan made that she did up for a friend and graciously posted for viewers.  I don't have time to experiment so finding this blog with a pre-made menu was a bonus and nice to find some variety other than ground beef with onions and garlic.

I also found this and equally smitten.  Jessica keeps things pretty simple and if you have difficulties in the kitchen she has these amusing videos on how to make a simple meal with real food.  Her fish video was like hitting a gold mine and her chicken video is a hoot!  
Definitely two thumbs up for do it Delicious.  Keeping it simple and real.

Lov'n these right now as well.  I think this would be classified as a super, nutritious alternative to potato chips for sure.  Kale is a woman's best friend.
Parmesan Kale Crisps

Ingredients

One large bunch of kale
3 tablespoons olive oil
to taste kosher salt and grated Parmesan

Directions

Heat the oven to 300°F. Pull the kale leaves from the stem; discard the stem. Tear the leaves into 3-inch pieces (8 to 10 cups total) and place on a rimmed sheet pan. Toss with the oil and rub to evenly coat each leaf. Arrange in a single layer and bake until crisp, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool, then sprinkle with salt and Parmesan to taste before serving.

Kale is definitely a woman's best friend.  Initially I thought it was the dietary fibre and folates but after a quick google search I discovered that it contains much more!  Chock full of a variety of goodness it contains calcium, magnesium, vitamins A and B, folic acid and can even increase milk supply in nursing mothers!  I also read that is can help regulate estrogen and help to defend cancerous cells like that of breast cancer.  See?  A woman's best friend.

Have a great weekend!
~Becki




    

        

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP